1. He asked me to lend him £ 10. I hadn't got £ 10, but I lend him £ 5, and he was grateful.
2. The fishing boat sank, but fortunately the fisherman ... swim to the shore.
3. The woman ... describe the pickpocket to the police; she told them he was a thin little man, wearing a dirty raincoat.
4. It was a fine day yesterday, so we ... have a picnic, and we enjoyed it very much.
5. He suddenly felt ill, but he ... finish his speech, although at the end he could hardly stand.
6. He spoke very little French when he left school, but he ... understand the language.
7. I got to the station at 9.50 a. m. and ... catch the 9.55 а. т. train. I was very pleased I didn't have to wait for the next train.
8. The sick man had a restless night, but he ... sleep for an hour or two.
9. She ... visit her friends every morning before she got married if she wanted to, but now she can't; she has too much to do in the house.
10. The town was full of visitors, and we didn't know where we would spend the night, but at last we ... find two vacant rooms in a small hotel.
11. Before his illness, he ... work fourteen hours a day if he had to.
12. He was very strong; he ... ski all day and dance all night.
13. I was a long way from the stage. I ... see all right but I ... not hear very well. 14.
14. We ... borrow umbrellas; so we didn't get wet.
15. I knew the town so I ... advise him where to go.
16. When the garage had repaired our car we ... continue our journey.
17. When I arrived everyone was asleep. Fortunately I ... wake my sister and she let me in.
18. The swimmer was very tired but he ... reach the shore before he collapsed.