Retargeting & Audiences
The Retargeting & Audiences option allows you to serve your ads exclusively to users who are interested in your products or services. For example, you can serve them to people who visited your site already or put something in their shopping cart. Yandex.Metrica and Yandex.Audience can help you select a user group.
Ads based on retargeting lists will only be served on the Yandex Advertising Network and ad exchanges.
Ads that concern sensitive topics (such as medicine, dating, romantic gifts and surprises) will not be served based on retargeting lists.
- Preset segments
You can use preset segments even if you don't have any segments saved in Yandex.Metrica. By using preset segments on your website, you can target users you are interested in (for example, new visitors or mobile visitors). Select a preset segment in Yandex.Direct, and this segment will be created for your Yandex.Metrica tag. You can open the list of preset segments for a tag if you have editing rights for it.
- New users: Users that visited the website for the first time in the past 90 days.
- Returning users: Users that visited the website more than once in the past 90 days.
- Search traffic: Users that landed on the website from Yandex search results or other search engines.
- Ad traffic: Users that landed on the website after clicking an ad.
- Link traffic: Users that landed on the website by following links from other websites.
- Bounces: Users that opened only one page of the website, spent less than 15 seconds on it, and were not converted.
- Non-bounces: Users that viewed the website for more than 15 seconds or viewed more than one page, or were converted.
- Traffic from mobile devices: Users that viewed the page from a smartphone or tablet.
- Traffic from desktop devices: Users that visited the website from a desktop or laptop.
- Custom goals and Yandex.Metrica segments.
Enter goals or segments in Yandex.Metrica. Goals relate to the behavior of a specific user on your site. For example, a goal might be for a user to add a discounted product to their shopping cart or start a new order. Segments describe characteristics of a user during a specific session. For example, they describe how the user got to the site (from a social network, from Yandex search), what device they used to view the site (a mobile phone, desktop), and their gender and age.
More about Yandex.Metrica.
- Yandex.Audience segments
Generate the segment you need in Yandex.Audience. For example, you can select:
- Customers whose data is in your CRM.
- Users of your mobile app.
- People who regularly visit your selected locations or are there right now.
- Users similar to your customers based on their online behavior.
- More about Yandex.Audience.
How to create a retargeting list
To create a new retargeting list, in the left menu choose. You can also add a retargeting list from the ad group creation or editing page.
- Sets of rules
A retargeting list can contain one or more rule sets (no more than 50) joined by the “AND” operator.
The system lets you choose various criteria for rule fulfillment — All fulfilled, At least one fulfilled or None fulfilled.Attention. Criteria under which all rule sets are negative (the None fulfilled option), can only be used for bid adjustments. You must have at least one rule set with the All fulfilled or At least one fulfilled criteria to apply a targeting condition.
- Create rules based on Yandex.Audience segments, Yandex.Metrica goals, or Yandex.Metrica segments (you can use any automatic or custom segment with 1000 or more users).Note. You can use the existing goals or segments from another Yandex.Metrica tag. Open the Retargeting & Audiences page, click Get access to Yandex.Metrica goals, and request access to the goals.
To each of your rules, you can add users who have similar behavior or interests to users in the selected segment or to users who completed the selected goal. When creating a rule, specify:
- Only the selected segment/goal, if you want to select the users that were already converted for the goal or got into the segment.
- Selected segment/Selected goal and similar users to select both the users that were already converted for the goal or were included in the segment, and a new audience of similar users.
- Only similar users to select only the new audience. Users that were converted for the goal or were included in the segment won't be selected by the condition.
Similar users are identified using Crypta technology.
For each Yandex.Metrica goal, set a period between 1 and 540 days. Ads will be served over that period to an audience that fulfills the criteria you specified. Yandex.Metrica segments are automatically updated on a regular basis, so they contain current user data.
You can add a maximum of 250 rules in total. Keep in mind that the more criteria there are in your retargeting list, the narrower your audience coverage.
You can view all the retargeting lists you created on the Retargeting & Audiences page. You can add a retargeting list to any ad group in one or more campaigns.
You can create up to 2,000 retargeting lists per account. You can add up to 50 retargeting lists to an ad group.
You can also edit a retargeting list that you created previously. To do this, on the Retargeting & Audiences page, click the retargeting list, and enter your changes. You can also create a new retargeting list that keeps the changes you made by clicking Save as new.
Tips on configuration
You can set a specific time interval during which a goal should be met.
Let's say you want to set a period of between 7 and 14 days ago. You need to create two sets of rules to do this. In the first set, add a goal with a period of 14 days and the At least one fulfilled criteria. For the second set, add a period of 7 days and the None fulfilled criteria.
If you combine several goals in Yandex.Metrica, only users who complete all these goals in one session will end up in the sample.
For example, if a segment was created in Yandex.Metrica with the two completed goals “Visit a promotional page” and “Order a discounted item”, the selection will include only users who have both visited a promo offer page and ordered a discounted item in the same session.
To include those visitors who have fulfilled both criteria regardless of the time period, create the following two separate criteria in Yandex.Metrica: “Visit a promotional page” and “Order a discounted item”. Then combine them on Yandex.Direct.
You can't create goals based on negative criteria in Yandex.Metrica. Instead, create a goal with a positive criteria and add a negative on Yandex.Direct.
By combining Yandex.Audience segments with Yandex.Metrica goals and segments, you can create sophisticated criteria for retargeting lists.
For example, you can serve ads for discounts to regular customers who have not made a purchase on your site in the last 30 days. To do this, create a segment of existing customers based on data from your CRM. Enter the segment and the corresponding Yandex.Metrica goal in the target audience section.
Retargeting lists allow you to find users that are your potential customers (for example, people who have already been on your site). By increasing your bids for ads based on retargeting lists, you can reach more users interested in your product or service and serve them more relevant ads. You can set a bid for each retargeting list if you are using a manual bid management strategy.
You can also use bid adjustments to raise or lower your bid when your ads are served. For example, you might want to target users who are interested in expensive goods or services. It is generally a good idea to set a higher bid for such ad groups to attract more traffic.
More information about bid adjustments.
Sometimes one user satisfies the impression criteria for several different ads. In that case, the user will probably be served the ad with the higher bid (in other words, the advertiser that considers that user's group most valuable will win the auction).