How to evaluate performance of video ads
You can view ad campaign reports after your ads start displaying. You can evaluate campaign performance by regularly reviewing the statistics.
Which metrics to track
For video ads, it is important to assess target audience reach and user interest in the video.
- Key metrics for video performance
Views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the video.
- Percentage of views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the video, divided by the total number of video impressions.
- Average cost per view of 100% of video (CPV) — Calculated as the ratio of spending to the number of 100% completed video views.
- Mute or unmute clicks — The number of times “Unmute” and “Mute” were clicked.
- Reach — The number of unique users who viewed the video. Unique users are calculated using the history of impressions on different devices belonging to the same users (smartphones, tablets, computers).
- Average impression rate — The average number of ad contacts per user, calculated as the ratio of the number of views to the reach.
How to create a report
Click the View statistics link on the display campaign page. In the Report wizard, create a report with the following parameters:
- Choose “For selected period”.
To view statistics on specific ad block formats, you can select the Type of inventory cross-section.
- Avg. impression frequency
- Total expenditure (rubles)
- Completed 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% of video ad
- Percentage of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed videos
- Average CPM (rubles)
- Average CPV for 100% completed video (rubles)
- Mute clicks
- Unmute clicks
In the report, you will see:
- Media reach produced by advertising.
- How well your video engages the audience.
- How users interacted with your video.
How to make decisions based on statistics
- How to increase video impressions
- If the campaign wins too few auctions for ad display, you can raise the CPM bid (for a manual strategy) or limit your average CPM (for an automatic strategy). Check the impression criteria in the user profile: your ad may be too narrowly targeted.
- How to compare videos
Unlike performance campaigns, video ads in the same ad group are served evenly. You can compare video ads by the number of quartile views and clicks: these metrics show user interest in the video ads. Add the Ad/banner № cross-section and 100% completed video and Clicks columns, and compare the metrics across videos.
- How to improve advertising materials
See how effectively the video engages the audience. The quartile view statistics shows user interest in a certain part of the video. For example, if only a small percentage of users have watched a quarter of the video, while the main information is in the middle or end, try to adjust your story. If a video is interesting and engaging from the start, more users will watch it to the end.
- How to interpret statistics on clicks and conversions
Video advertising, just like other types of advertising, can bring both traffic and purchases to your website. You can compare display campaigns by the number of clicks and conversions: please note that reach and frequency are more important for display campaigns than clicks and conversions. However, it is incorrect to compare clicks and conversions with similar metrics of performance campaigns: performance advertising runs on existing demand, while display advertising creates more interest in a “cold” audience.
Information about the video audience
- Segment reach and user distribution by gender, age, and device type.
- Online interests and categories of users (homemakers, students, parents, and so on).
- Percentage of users in the segment who visited your site or completed Yandex.Metrica goals on it.
For more information, see the Help for Yandex.Audience.